Monday, June 12, 2006

Today was a loooong crazy, run around without my head on straight day.
Traying to catch up from being sick last week… except that I have 4 court hearings shoved into two days and then I leave for “vacation”.
This morning I sat around court waiting for them to call my delinquency hearing for Darius… he isn’t there, obviously… so I just sit, and sit and sit. (Like I didn’t have a million things I needed to be doing at the office… noooo, I got all the time in the world to do nothing at court….)
Anyway, back to my story.
There were the cutest kids sitting next to me in the waiting area. Looking about as bored as you would expect kids to look waiting around for hours at the Wayne County “Juvenile” Court.
So without thinking I reach into my bag and give the girl some smarties and sweettarts…. Then I notice her brother… I go back and give him some too… his pout turns into a smile.
Cutest thing ever.
Then when I’m waiting in the actual courtroom they sat behind me. They had toilet paper and kept doing this thing where they put it to their nose an breathed in to see if they could make it stay… (yeah, not really appropriate for court… but the kids have been sitting there for hours probably and they weren’t making TOO much noise… give them a break… they were like 2 and 3 years old)
Anyway, their hearing was held before mine… and as it was about to be adjourned, I turned around to the grandmother who was with the kids and handed her two suckers for the ride home.
They got up to leave and both the kids were so happy and gave me hugs…which isn’t why I did it… I just wanted to give them something to think about so they wouldn’t be so freaking bored there…(yeah, I’m 25, but I remember what it was like to be a little kid..)
At the same time, it is crazy that it took me this long to realize that all you have to do is give kids candy and they will love you forever…
If only it were that easy with adults.
You spend your whole life looking, find the right one, sneak them a sugary snack, and voila! Marital bliss. Unwaivering fidelity. Eternal Commitment. All from a tootsie pop.
In fact, I think I will start trying it to see if it works, at least it will give me a good excuse when people ask why I’m single.
Instead of the usual (yet completely truthful and valid) reasons of: It isn’t the right time in my life - I have too much to do before I settle down - I’m freaking leaving for a foreign country in two months- I will simply start saying, “I just haven’t found the right person to give my candy to.”
And really, how can you argue with that?

1 Comments:

At Friday, August 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home