Wednesday, March 21, 2007

instead of rambling about my kids obsession with swear words...



Suprise Suprise, I'm going to talk about food again.
You know, I probably could save the world or at least get an advanced educational degree if I just took the amount of time I spent thinking/talking about/cooking food and did something else with it.
Well, maybe someday.
What I want to go off about today is my new found love of dried fruit.
I never really liked it back in the States. And although I don't really remember, I'm pretty sure it tastes different (read: better) here.
Dried figs, plums, and dates...
soooo good.
Did you know that dried dates taste like caramel? I kid you not.
But they are just too good. I ate quite a few today. (ok, so maybe my dinner consisted entirely of dried dates... that's ok... right?)
But that left me with a lot of date pits.
So I decided that I'm going to try to grow them.
(warning: the following will highlight exactly how exciting my social life is here)
After looking online for how to grow dates from seeds I think that I figured out the two varieties that are sold at my local "supermarket" (read: store that sells more than two varieties of yogurt)
But honestly, I am really not sure.
I studied social work in college. Maybe if I had stuck with forestry, my first major choice, I would know this.
But then again maybe not. It isn't like date trees grow extensively in Michigan.
Regardless, I want to grow them. Not that I'm going to get fruit or anything, I just want to see if I can.
I have some room in my kitchen. And lots of extra date seeds.
And I'm not expecting some tropical palm tree in my apartment, but I'll be happy with any sort of life i can get from the seeds.
Hey, if they can grow a date tree from 2,000 year old seeds I shouldn't have a huge problem with these.

Plus, Tunisia exports a lot of dates.
I already wanted to go to Tunisia.
I love dates.
Clearly, I am meant to go to Tunisia.
I'm glad you follow my logic.
Yes, maybe Egypt is the largest producer of dates, but Egypt has too many tourists and I have already decided that it is not a place I have much desire to go...well, at the moment anyway. So I ignore their date production standing.
See how the reasoning works?
In reality, I'm not crazy and the amount of dates a particular country produces or exports really has no bearing on my choice of a vacation destination, but I just like to have random facts backing up my random decisions.
Like how I decided that I just HAVE to go to Tunisia sometime.
I don't know why. I looked at my map and thought, 'yeah, Tunisia.'
Or maybe there was more to it.
Or maybe there wasn't.

1 Comments:

At Friday, March 23, 2007, Blogger Wifer said...

Hey smoochie,
Send me your address leave it on my blog or email. I have a ton of stuff that I want to send you:-)

LOVE YOU

 

Post a Comment

<< Home