Sunday, October 29, 2006

back home, from home.

oh, so much to say, but i am tired.
went back to kraynitsi this weekend for my host sister's wedding...
it was fantastic.
there is nothing quite like a bulgarian wedding... especially one that you are actually a part of.
i handed out the cookies with my host nieces and host aunt(?) (I guess I really never though about her hypothetical "host" relationship to me) to the guests at the house before the wedding when the bride and groom make their exit to the car and do the horro in the street on the way to the church.
i stood with the family at the signing of the marriage documents and at the church, as well as sat with them at the reception.
had three songs dedicated to me, one being a horro that i couldn't do by a neighbor and close friend of the family who gave me way too much dancing credit.
i think i seriously let her down when i didn't know it.
sorry, but just because i have the one-two-three-kick-kick, down, doesn't mean i know the other ones.
For one of the dances I was next to my host dad, and when we passed by tables of his frieds he declared "Amerikanka!!!" Obviously proud that his volunteer was joining in.
Yes, in EVERY dance.
Except for the two that I didn't know.
I was exhausted.
Nobody cared.
When a baba grabs your arm to dance, dang it, you dance.
And then everyone asked if lili and lazar taught me how to do the horro.
Yes, some people gave me, for lack of a better word, 'looks'. whatever. i wasn't there for them.
they can think what they want about somebody that they don't know.
I was there for my host family.
AND, i didn't relaize until comming back how much better my bulgarian has gotten.
The whole family noticed it and commented on it.
10 days with absolutely no english, with the excption of text messages and convos with mom, will do that.
My host mom, said "see, i told you not to worry, when you have to speak bulgarian, you speak bulgarian"
I even understood my host brother, who i honestly don't think i understood a word that came out of his mouth for the two months i lived there.
But, that could also have something to do with the fact that i kind of snapped at him my last night there. He was saying something to me, like usual way to fast for me to ever comprehend.
and then he goes to the family, "two months and she doesn't understand still"
so without thinking i go "ivan, but you speak way too fast. and i never understand you! sorry, but i can't!"
I could tell that he definitely made a huge effort to speak more clearly and slower with me. It really helped and I thanked him.
He said that he was sorry he spoke too fast before.
And all is good again.
it was a lot of traveling, but it was definitely worth it.
zlataritsa to veliko turnovo, turnovo to sofia, sofia to dupnitsa, dupnitsa to kraynitsi.
then the reverse today.
except i got a ride to dupnitsa from my host family, and despite my protests, my host mom insisted on buying my ticket to sofia.
and i took a taxi from veliko turnovo back to zlataritsa since there is no bus at this time.
i had heard before that taxi drivers have a habit of telling you their opinions of minorities, but i never really thought too much about it.
but believe me, they do.
what do you say when someone is just blowing your mind with their ignorant hatred.
ummm, nothing.
because i can't.
the only thing i could say was that i like everyone in the whole world.
very sophisticated, right?
language. grrr.
ok, so i'm not totally that ridiculous.
i was able to say that while he was telling me that this whole group of people were lazy, that all the people i know are very hard working. And right after he had said how much he hated hitler, he went on to say that hitler wanted this group of people gone.
"znachi, eskish li hitler?"
so, you like hitler?
no, he said, he didn't at all.
well then, what the heck is your point, buddy??!!
whatever.
i got here.
back home.
with the people that my taxi driver hates.
who are exactly opposite of his opinions of them.
ok, i'm tired.
i'm going to bed.
oh crap, and i have more veggie soup cooking on the stove.
my beans are going to be over cooked.
goodnight.

5 Comments:

At Sunday, October 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tracy, this is Delyana from myspace. I'm glad you got back home safe, taxi rides are scary sometimes in Bulgaria, and they can get annoying, too. I just wanted to tell you, "eskish li" means "Do you want" and "do you like" is "Haresvash li". :o) I hope this helps. The Roma thing... is very hard to explain, just as hard as it is to understand from your point of view. I just hope that you will get to work with Roma people who appreciate what you do for them. And I pray you never find out why some Bulgarians are being rasist. As for some Bulgarians who gave you "looks" at the wedding, let me tell you... That's why I don't hang out with Bulgarians here, in the states... They give me looks, because I am married to an American. But who cares! Pay no mind.
Have a great week!
Dee

P.S. Don't worry about the horo either, I only know one and I was born and raised in Bulgaria... ;o)

 
At Monday, October 30, 2006, Blogger LauraDyas said...

Hi Tracy,
Loved reading all about your host family's wedding and so glad to hear you have your own place. Sounds like things are finally going to get into more of a routine for you. Your blog keeps me laughing and your adventures are ones that you will always remember! Cooking again must be fun and getting your independence back must be wonderful for you though your host family sounded very supportive and fun. Please send me your address. Kristina and I made earrings and I will check and see what we have left over. We are not selling them anymore and I have been looking to donate what we have left over. I think I have over 200 pairs left and would love to donate some to you to sell to start you and your friends on your business. Just forward your address and I will put together a package. I know I have the tools also that I won't them use anymore. Let me know what else you need and I will see what I have. I will check and see if we have gems. I think we may have the bags and earring metal. I will let you know. It is perfect timing for me because I want to get rid of it and have been looking to find someone to give it to. Let me know if you want it Tracy. I would love to help you. I was selling the earrings here at craft shows and I just don't have the time. It started as a fun thing to do and as a hobby and now I have so many I just don't know what to do with them. I love making them, just not selling. Have a great week and always...you are doing a great job.
Laura

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tracy, great blog you've got going here. Damn, it is amazing how different our experiences have been so far, and we are both serving in the Peace Corps in Bulgaria! So many people in Stara Zagora speak English that I think my Bulgarian has actually gotten worse! I need to find a tutor ASAP (the search is ongoing).

Take care,
Ryan (Ryan L. that is)

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a trip!!! And what a taxi ride. Prejudices are the same all over the world, aren't they? Where are the pictures of the wedding???
We love yu. Mom

 
At Thursday, November 02, 2006, Blogger tracy said...

delyana
haha... even though my bulgarian does suck, i actually know that.
i messed up when i was typing.
i actually asked him this, but i didn't feel like typing the whole thing out because i am pretty sure that it was probably the wrong way to say everything.
"znachi, harasvish li hitler"
then he said no.
to which i asked him "no eskish da budesh kato hitler"
to which he said no as well.
was that right (question(...
*i would put question marks on all the questions i quoted but my shift key seems to be malfunctioning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home