Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Do I contradict myself?

Very well, then, I contradict myself;
(I am large - I contain multitudes)


so i met with my older students sunday night and we discussed what to present in english at the upcoming town holiday
we decided on a poem since, if i'm to be perfectly honest, we knew we could find one pre-translated, saving us the work of not only writing a speech but getting it exact in both enlgish and bulgarian (not that anyone would know one way or the other)
but anyway, as luck would have it i found my favorite online, printed it out and brought the english and bulgarian versions today to the club house to see what they thought.
all the kids, not just the older ones got all excited. (who knew bulgarian children dig 150 year old american poems...)
so now there's a slight change of plans.
now i have a group of 10 students ranging from 6-12 grade reciting Walt Whitman's Song of Myself (1-7) in English with me and the other students reciting the Bulgarian translation.
yep, we're gonna have walt whitman and baseball at the town holiday.
just one more, slightly unnerving, example of how i had to go to bulgaria to be american.

I know I am deathless,
I know this orbit of mine cannot be swept by a carpenter's compass,
I know I shall not pass like a child's carlacue cut with a burnt
stick at night.

I know I am august,
I do not trouble my spirit to vindicate itself or be understood,
I see that the elementary laws never apologize,
(I reckon I behave no prouder than the level I plant my house by,
after all.)

I exist as I am, that is enough

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 25, 2007, Blogger LauraDyas said...

Tracy,
How exciting and what a great choice of poems! Excellent work and I can't wait to hear how it turns out. I am so proud of what you are doing. Keep up the great work. Things are really starting to work out well. You are making memories that you will always have for the rest of your life. The impact you are having on these kids will be a part of their lives forever. Enjoy your week!
Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home